Welcoming Brian Dessent as setup maintainer

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Thu May 5 15:19:00 GMT 2005


On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:14:04AM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> >  This is the Cygwin setup program.  It can be used to perform both an
>> >  initial setup and subsequent updates, so make sure you remember where
>> >  you saved it.
>> 
>> I like this idea.
>
>Okay, I've been working on the dialogs.  I didn't want to completely gut
>them and redo them, which would probably be the sensible thing to do. 
>But working within the framework of what's already there, I think I've
>made progress.
>
>I also implemented a method for embedding clickable URLs in the
>dialogs.  So now the link on the first page is really a link (and I
>changed it from sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ to cygwin.com.)  On the
>dos/unix page there is also a link that takes you to the part of the
>manual that's relevent for that.

Thanks.  I would appreciate it if anyone who comes across a
sources.redhat.com link would change it to a cygwin.com link.

>These dialogs still look like ass if you resize them because they do not
>adjust their dimensions.  But, I think that can be corrected.
>
>I also improved the dependency display screen, with a larger font and
>more structured output.
>
>Here are screenshots of those three pages:
>
>http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup-dialogs1.png
>http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup-dialogs2.png
>http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup-dialogs3.png
>
>Here is a test version that you can play with.  It has all of the above
>enabled.
>
>http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup.exe
>
>I don't know how far off I am to committing any of this, but I'd like
>feedback on the UI aspects of any of the above.

I think the UI stuff is great.  You should feel free to put snapshots
in http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/ if you'd like.

cgf



More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list