New application proposal - git-core SCM

Tim O'Callaghan timo@dspsrv.com
Tue Nov 1 17:33:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 11:03:07AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >IMHO having a description of what the file is, what it is for, and
> >what the various options are, is only good manners. Especially if you
> >want to submit it back to the vendor tree, which is probably not
> >Cygwin aware.
>
> Hopefully any software developer won't need a comment like:
>
>   # package category
>   category: Archive Devel
>
> or
>
>   # depends
>   requires:
>
> I think that these are similar to:
>
>   i++;	/* increment i by one */
>
> in that they are only visual clutter.

Well its not worth arguing about the aesthetics, I'll remove those
comments that offend :)

> >I hope to submit the git 99.9 release in the next week. I will also
> >probably be proposing to submit: autodoc, msmtp, mutt-ng, jassa-me/ne
> >and a few others.
>
> I don't know about the others but I don't think we want to have two
> competing versions of mutt in the distribution.  I don't see mutt-ng in
> any linux distro either so it would need to be voted on anyway.

This is the kind of information that should possibly be added to the
setup.html? While i do not see that multiple tools doing the same job
is a bad thing, i can see why it might not right for cygwin. Same is
true of the pre-requisite of having it in a Linux distro.

With regards to mutt, I emailed g.r.vansickle about 3 weeks ago asking
about the possibility of moving from mutt 1.4.1 to 1.5.10 or to create
a 1.5.10 test release. I did not get any response, so i grabbed and
compiled the latest mutt and later found mutt-ng.  I do not want to
step on any toes or usurp anyones maintainership. I just thought a
wider audience might like easy access to mutt-ng, as i use it with the
other tools i mentioned.

The advantages of mutt-ng is that it can handle getting messages via
POP, IMAP and NNTP without need for an external tool. It also has a
thunder-bird style sidebar in which you can display the status of your
mail and news folders.

Tim.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results."
-- Winston Churchill