[ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Thu Nov 17 18:29:00 GMT 2005

On Nov 15 23:32, Christian Franke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >Just go ahead and ITP the package.  If you wait for a reply to this
> >question, you might starve.
> >

> OK, first try of smartmontools package is here:
>
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/setup.hint
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.34-pre20051115.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.34-pre20051115-src.tar.bz2
>
> This is a prerelease of 5.34, therefore the src package contains
> original 5.33 and a big patch vs. current CVS.

Looks pretty much ok, except

- I don't like the versioning scheme.  You should keep the normal Cygwin
  subversion intact (counting from 1) and put the `pre2005...' string
  into the main version, in a way which allows easy updates without
  having to put "curr" and "prev" strings into setup.hint at some later
  point.  For instance

    smartmontools-5.33pre20051115-1.tar.bz2

  Accordingly in the source archive, so that the 5.34 release number is
  not tainted.  I hope that makes sense.

- The postinstall script copies the file /etc/defaults/etc/smartd.conf,
  but the file itself is accidentally in /etc/defaults.

If you change this, the package is GTG, AFAICS.

Red Hat, Inc.