Consensus about man and doc X11 directory structure

Brian Ford Brian.Ford@flightsafety.com
Mon Oct 10 20:14:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

> I propose that documentation in general should go to /usr/share/doc/$PACKAGE
> even for X11 packages and the main man page directory should be dictated
> by the generic X11 tree, which is right now /usr/X11R6/man/manX (X=1,....)
>
> Any comments ?

Why do you propose keeping a distinct X11R6 tree yet puting documentation
outside it.  I would prefer these to be consistent.

IIRC, Harold had decided to eliminate the X11R6 subtree and cgf agreed.  I
guess that was the direction Xorg and several Linux distros were taking.

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-01/msg00228.html

IMHO, that was not desirable.  Eventually I could imagine X11 and
Cygwin native versions of the same package.  I liked this method of making
the distinction.

> The situation right now is:
[snip]
> Docs pages not belonging to the x11-org packages:
>
> /usr/X11R6/doc:
>
> fvwm-2.4.7
> lesstif-0.93.94
> libPropList-0.10.1
> openbox-0.99.1
> transfig-3.2.4                                 <-  empty
> x2x-1.30
> Xaw3d-1.5D
> xfig-3.2.4
> xgraph-12.1
> xpdf-0.91

I believe these are simply packages that have not been updated since the
FHS standards began being enforced.

> /usr/X11R6/share/doc:
>
> xorg-x11-xwin
> freeglut-2.2.0
> gv-3.5.8
> libXft-2.1.6
> nedit-5.5
> tcm-2.20
> WindowMaker-0.90.0
> X-start-menu-icons-1.0.3
> X-startup-scripts-1.0.10
> x3270-3.2.20
> XmHTML-1.1.7
> xwinclip-1.2.0

These would appear correct from my point of view.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer