ITP: plotutils-2.4.2 (trial Packaging too)

Wed Oct 12 01:52:00 GMT 2005

James R. Phillips wrote:

> OK, thanks for all the good information.  I'll post another set of trial
> packages shortly.  This is turning out to be a lot of work just to get a
> support library working for pstoedit.  But I guess that's life.

Yep.  But on the plus side, plotutils is a valuable package in itself;
the executables have intrinsic usefulness with regard to pstoedit.

> On the subject of pstoedit, I want to state for the record that the dll's in
> that package are only meant for pstoedit execution/development, not for other
> programs.  So there should be no need to package them separately from the
> pstoedit binary.

Fair enough.

Typically (and no need to make any modifications based on the following,
provided solely for informational purposes) these sorts of private
libraries when built using libtool are 'versioned' using the '-release'
flag, instead of the '-version-info' flag.  e.g. gettext-0.14.1 builds
two internal libs, libgettextlib and libgettextsrc, this way
(Makefile.am fragments):

libgettextsrc_la_LDFLAGS = \
   -release @VERSION@ \
   ../lib/libgettextlib.la @LTLIBINTL@ @LTLIBICONV@ -lc -no-undefined

libgettextlib_la_LDFLAGS = \
   -release @VERSION@ \
   @LTLIBINTL@ @LTLIBICONV@ -lc -no-undefined

where @VERSION@ gets set to '0.14.1'; this results in DLLs named

cyggettextlib-0-14-1.dll
cyggettextsrc-0-14-1.dll

These are packaged with the .exes (actually, it's a little more
complicated than that, given gettext's library organization, but go with
me here) because only gettext's exe's ever use them, and of course new
versions of these DLLs will be distributed with new versions of the
exe's, any time there is an update (say, 0.14.2, etc).

> On another issue - is LDFLAGS in g-b-s a reliable way to force a linker option
> like "-wl,--enable-auto-image-base" ?  Or should this go into CFLAGS ? Or is it
> best to modify Makefile.am ?  If there is a way to force this option in g-b-s,
> shouldn't we patch g-b-s to make it a default, like the CFLAGS="-O2" default?

Actually, IF you are using libtool, LDFLAGS won't make it to the linker
invokation.  OTOH, if you're using libtool (and you re-libtoolize your
package), there should be no need, since libtool-1.5.20 uses
-enable-auto-image-base by default.

If you're NOT using libtool, then yeah, setting MY_LDFLAGS in g-b-s
should do the trick.

--
Chuck