base-files: Does not permit the use of symlinks in /etc/profile.d/

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Sat Sep 17 17:08:00 GMT 2005

John Morrison wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> On Fri, September 16, 2005 11:27 pm, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> The current /etc/profile does not permit the use of symlinks in
>> /etc/profile.d/ - it ignores them.
>
> Sorry, didn't realise.  If I change the line
>
> /bin/find /etc/profile.d -type f -iname '*.sh' -or -iname '*.zsh'
>
> to be
>
> /bin/find -L /etc/profile.d -type f -iname '*.sh' -or -iname '*.zsh'
>
> would that fix things?  (The -L tells find to follow the link and make
> decisions based on the actual file AFAICT).

Would find then apply the -iname tests to the link destination too, then?
That would be a potential confusion. How about using \( -type f -o -type l
\) ?

>> Unfortunately, even if this was fixed in the package, existing installs
>> wouldn't get fixed, because /etc/profile is handled via /etc/defaults :-(
>
> What's wrong with /etc/defaults?  This sort of update is precisely what
> it's supposed to handle.  The only time people won't get upgraded is if
> they've manually edited their /etc/profile (or they have a copy which
> existed before /etc/defaults came into existence).  These folks have been
> told to upgrade and where it's better to place their modifications, surely
> we've given them enough time by now ;)

Oops - you're completely right! It never occurred to me that there was some
/etc/defaults processing done at preremove time.

> PS, off this thread, since you are maintaining Apache2 atm, could you let
> me know if you've ever taken a look at the php module?  I'd like to get
> phpBB working, but couldn't get the php module to compile correctly.  No
> worries if it's not on your agenda ;)

I don't have much personal use for PHP, so I've not tried to compile it. I'm
happy to discuss problems though - start a new thread.

Max.