postgresql-8.01 and 8.1 ready

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Sat Sep 24 13:24:00 GMT 2005

Jason Tishler schrieb:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 11:37:46AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>>So it is not possible to run this as service?

No, now you have two options to run it as service: cygrunsrv and pg_ctl.

>>>What is the problem with the method used in postgres 7?

Nothing.

 >>>What is sysbash?

Not yet a package unfortunately.

>>>[snip]
>>
>>Good questions.  Ideally I'd assume that the new postgresql just works
>>as a replacement for the old postgresql so that existing service
>>installations using cygrunsrv are not suddenly broken.

postgresql-8.x work with various types of service registrations
and start methods:
* The native one is via pg_ctl (new).
* My new init.d script is to mimic the old and wellknown behaviour using
cygrunsvr (as before).
* And then you can always start postmaster as before, without service
and without pg_ctl.

Important changes from 7.x to 8.x:
* admin binaries in /usr/sbin, and not in /usr/bin anymore.
   (similar to debian)
* native windows service functions added to pg_ctl
* contrib binaries in /usr/lib/postgresql/bin

I recommend to set PGDATA to /usr/share/postgresql/data-8.0.
PGDATA is versioned and you can easily have multiple PGDATA dirs.
I have data-7.4, data-8.0 and data-8.1

> To be specific, why doesn't the following (excerpt) from my PostgreSQL
> 7.x README work for 8.x?
>
>     $ cygserver-config
>     $ net user postgres $password /add /fullname:postgres /comment:'PostgreSQL user account' /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)"
>     $ mkpasswd -l -u postgres >>/etc/passwd
>     $ cmd /c secpol.msc # grant postgres "Log on as a service" user right
>     $ cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D /var/postgresql/data -i" --dep cygserver --termsig INT --user postgres --shutdown

Because 8.x put postmaster into /usr/sbin
I haven't checked --termsig INT though.
--
Reini