ITP: xsri

Wed Apr 5 05:58:00 GMT 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr  2 17:00, Charles Wilson wrote:

>> Can I get a GTG here?
>
> Any people left who are willing to review packages?  Grrr.
>
> Charles, you're *really* long enough in that project to know what's good
> or not good for a release.  Just go ahead.  You don't have to wait for a
> GTG anymore, just upload what you think is ripe for uploading.

Well, okay...but on the other hand, the lack of interest in GTG'ing a
package is also an indication of a lack of interest in having the
package in the distro at all.  If no-one is interested enough in using
the package to GTG it, then ... well, in some cases the person ITPing it
might want to consider whether it's worth the commitment to go ahead
with the package.  Although it's true that the set of people who can GTG
(current package maintainers) is quite a bit smaller than the set of
people who might be interested in using a package (larger than cygwin ml
subscriber list).

Now, in this particular case -- xsri -- the package is so simple [easy
to maintain, low number of problem reports expected], as all the real
work is done by the gtk libs, that I'll go ahead and upload it despite
those reservations.

However, given the above discussion, I'll wait a while longer before
moving forward with rxvt-unicode-X, in the absence of a GTG.  (The only
person to have attempted to build it reported problems; I'm convinced
those problems are resolved/PIBKAC, but he never followed up.  So...)

Further, in the case of the other three packages
    libW11
    libXpm-W11
    rxvt-W
these all need actual votes (as they have no analogue in Linux distros),
and have received none as yet.  (Plus, the fact the rxvt-W *doesn't
actually work* is kind of a drawback.  I'd really want some community
"buy-in" before uploading these three, even as setup.hint 'test:'-only
packages)

> It would
> just be nice if you could in turn GTG a few more other packages once in
> a while.

Friendly nudge accepted.  I did kinda get out of the habit of GTGing
stuff a while back...I have vague memories of a
more-than-I-bargained-for time-sink last time I did one [not
util-linux], but I don't recall any other details.  Not an excuse, just
an explanation.

-----
Speaking of which, I did recently test the new util-linux package, and
have a new cygutils ready to go with it.  But Yaakov needs to address
item (B) from this message
   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00117.html
even if only to say "Okay, I'll make a note to update the README on the
*next* release".

Nevermind responding to this util-linux thread-jack; I'll repost in the
correct thread
-----

--
Chuck