gettext-devel-0.14.5-1 bug?

Thu Apr 13 07:29:00 GMT 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> maybe I'm just dense, but the latest vim builds for the still beta
> vim 7.0 fails with this error message:
>
>   /usr/bin/msgfmt: line 2: return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script
>
> Shouldn't that be an "exit" rather than a "return"?

I'm probably having dense moment, too, because I don't understand.
msgfmt is a binary executable -- it doesn't have a 'line 2'.  It does,
however, parse other "scripts", so maybe there's an error in whatever
the vim7 build process is using msgfmt to process.  (But the files which
  msgfmt processes are not turing languages with constructs like "exit"
and "return" (or functions, for that matter) AFAIK.)

But even in that case, you'd expect the text of the **error message** to
appear somewhere in the gettext's own source code and message catalog.  But

find . \( -name '.build' -o -name '.inst' -o -name '.sinst' \) -prune -o
-type f -print | xargs grep "from a function or sourced script"

turns up nothing in my build dir.  So I'm just confused as heck.

Could you provide a little more detail?  What is the vim7 build process
DOING when this error happens?  How is msgfmt invoked?

--
Chuck