HEADS-UP: Modular X11 (ALL maintainers, please read)

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 21 04:30:00 GMT 2006

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> FIRST, the following two packages *must* be rearranged BEFORE the
> X11R7.0 upgrade, in order not to cause collisions:

xpm-nox has already been taken care of by Charles Wilson, that leaves
opengl, whose maintainer AFAICS is André Bleau.

> SECOND, the following packages install into /usr/X11R6.  These should be
> repackaged into /usr ASAP after the X11R7.0 upgrade:

I would like to ask that any future packages, both ITPs and updates, be
in /usr; those packages which aren't being updated immediately anyway
can wait until modular X11 is available.

Of course, I forgot something very important:

THIRD, all packages dependent on X11 in any way need to specify which
*client* libraries or components they actually require, NOT including
the server.  I would like to have this figured out by upload time so
that I can update the setup.hint's then (but please NOT YET!!!!).

For my own notes, these are mine that are affected:

cairo: libX11 libXrender
libcairo2: libX11_6 libXrender1
GConf2: none directly
glitz: mesa
libglitz-glx1: libGL1
gnome-libs-devel: mesa
libgnomeui: libICE6 libSM6 libX11_6
gtk+: libX11_6 libXext6
gtk+-devel: libX11 libXext
gtk-engines: none directly
gvim: libICE6 libSM6 libX11_6 libXt6
imlib: libX11_6 libXext6
libbonoboui2: libX11_6
libglade2: none directly
libgnomeui2: libICE6 libSM6
libgnomeui2-devel: libICE libSM
libungif: libX11
libungif4: libX11_6
libwnck1_18: libX11_6 libXres1
libwnck-devel: libX11 libXres
perl-Tk: libX11_6
qt3: libGL1 libICE6 libSM6 libX11_6 libXcursor1 libXft2 libXi6 libXmu6
libXrandr2
startup-notification: libX11_6

The following belong to others:

GraphicsMagick, libGraphicsMagick-devel, libGraphicsMagick0
ImageMagick, libMagick-devel, libMagick6
TeXmacs
WindowMaker
Xaw3d
XmHTML
aalib-devel, libaa1
cgoban
ddd
emacs-X11
freeglut
fvwm
gd, libgd-devel, libgd2
ghostscript-x11
gnubg
gnuplot
grace
gtk2-x11-runtime
gv
jasper
lablgtk2
lesstif
libggi2-display-aa
libggi2-display-x
libggiwmh0-display-x
libgii1-input-x
libwmf
nedit
openbox
pango-runtime
ploticus, libploticus
plotutils
singular-surf
t1lib
tcm
tetex-x11
transfig
x2x
x3270
xemacs
xfig
xgraph
xmon
xpdf
xsri
xterm

In the meantime, I'll keep trying to get the server working.

Yaakov