[ITP] gt5-1.3 -- A terminal program to show disk usage and navigate between directories

Jari Aalto jari.aalto@cante.net
Tue Feb 21 22:48:00 GMT 2006

"Dr. Volker Zell" <Dr.Volker.Zell-QHcLZuEGTsvQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Jari it would be nice if the two steps (pkg/spkg) in your build
> scripts behave like in other build scripts (g-b-s/Yaakov's
> Gentoo-based package build script). They should produce binary and
> source packages in the same directory in which the build script
> itself is located.

I saw two problems with it:

    1) putting the result [source].tar.gz and [bin].tar.gz back to
    the directory where ./<package>.sh is being run rouind the GPG
    signatures attached to them.

        $ cd tmp
        $ ls
    *   foo-1.9.5-1-src.tar.bz2
        foo-1.9.5-1-src.tar.bz2.sig
    *   foo-1.9.5-1.tar.bz2
        foo-1.9.5-1.tar.bz2.sig

        $ tar jxvf foo-1.9.5-src.tar.gz
        foo-1.9.5-1-cygwin.patch
        foo-1.9.5-1-cygwin.patch.sig
        foo-1.9.5-1.sh
        foo-1.9.5-1.sh.sig
        foo-1.9.5.tar.gz
        foo_1.9.5.tar.gz

        $ ./foo-1.9.5-1.sh all

        <Buidlds by cd'ing to ./foo-1.9.5-1/
         If results were put ../, then would overwrite the original files
         foo-1.9.5-1-src.tar.bz2 and foo-1.9.5-1.tar.bz2 and ruin
         associated signatures>

    2) Parallel development of many packages is possible only if
    all development is done within the "branch"

        ROOT
            package-a
                    version-1.1/
                    version-2.1/
                    version-3.1/
            package-b
                    version-1.1/-!-
                    version-2.1/
                    version-3.1/

    Suppose you're building in -!-, and the result [source].tar.gz and
    [bin].tar.gz are put ../ above. The you move to version-2.1/ and
    the results are again put ../ above.

    This is not good for keeping the debelopment lines separate and under
    version control. That's why all results are put inside

                    .sinst/

This is actually similar to what Debian does with *.deb packaging.

But I can think of adding a compatibility option, say

    --gbs

to make it behave like g-b-s to make the transition easier.

> Or at least make sure the all
> step puts them there as promised in your Cygwin specific README.
>
>    Build instructions:
>      unpack gt5-1.3-1-src.tar.bz2
>        if you use setup to install this src package, it will be
>        unpacked under /usr/src automatically
>      cd /usr/src
>      ./gt5*.sh all
>
>    This will create:
>      gt5-1.3-1.tar.bz2
>      gt5-1.3-1-src.tar.bz2

Thanks, I'll update the documentation in this respect. I hadn't
noticed to change this stanza.

> Right now both the binary and source packages are created under .sinst
> and the all step unconditionally deletes the whole dir tree. People like
> me who want to build from source are forced to run the
> prep/conf/make/install/pkg/spkg manually and then copy the bin/source
> packages to a safe location before running finish.

I'll implement the --gbs compatibility mode soon.

Thanks,
Jari