RFC: X11R7 transition

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 12 23:58:00 GMT 2006

As previously mentioned, I have been working on porting the modular
X11R7 to Cygwin.  While I have been (AFAICS) successful on the client
side, the server refused to find any fonts, and hence won't start.

Frankly, I'm baffled as to why, since it's not the fonts themselves
(X11R6 XWin will run with the new fonts via -fp), and fixing a few
#ifdef's in libXfont which I thought might be the suspect haven't helped.

Now, X11R7.1 is already out, making Cygwin even further behind.  And to
make matters worse, since my system is already modular, most things that
I maintain I can't upload new versions of, because they won't be
compatible with X11R6 (if only because the paths are different and X11R7
uses libtool).

Because of the fundamental change from monolithic to modular, in order
to get the ball rolling, I would like to propose the following:

1) Move X11R6 files (xorg-x11-etc, xorg-x11-libs-data) that would block
X11R7 (in /etc/X11 and /usr) back into /usr/X11R6.

2) Add everything but the server from X11R7.0 into the distro,
installing into /etc/X11 and /usr.

3) Obsolete the following immediately:
xorg-x11-bin
xorg-x11-bin-lndir
xorg-x11-devel
xorg-x11-fsrv
xorg-x11-man-pages
xorg-x11-man-pages-html

[Until here should go very quickly, once I have upload access.]

4) Post my .cygport and patches for xorg-server to the cygwin-xfree
list, so that others will be able to help.  In the meantime, other
packages should be converted to modular dependencies, etc.

5) Continue with X11R7.1, looking and hoping for the solution to get the
server working.

6) Once xorg-server is actually working, then the rest of xorg-x11-6.8
can be obsoleted:

xorg-x11-base
xorg-x11-bin-dlls
xorg-x11-etc
xorg-x11-f100
xorg-x11-fcyr
xorg-x11-fenc
xorg-x11-fnts
xorg-x11-fscl
xorg-x11-libs-data
xorg-x11-nest
xorg-x11-vfb
xorg-x11-xwin
xorg-x11-xwin-gl

I realize that is may not be the preferred way of making this
transition, but at this point I can't think of another viable way to
move forward.  Thoughts?

Yaakov