[ITP] util-linux

Mon Mar 6 09:55:00 GMT 2006

On Mar  5 15:36, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> >/sbin:
> >agetty fsck.cramfs fsck.minix mkfs.bfs mkfs.cramfs mkfs mkfs.minix
> >mkswap sln
> >
> >/bin and /usr/bin:
> >arch cal chkdupexe col colcrt colrm column ddate getopt hexdump isosize
> >line look mcookie more namei pg rename renice rev script scriptreplay
> >setsid setterm tailf ul whereis
>
> Getting back to the point of this thread... are there any further
> objections to this list?

Well, call it objections... I can't quite see the benfit of mkswap and
the fsck resp. mkfs backends in the Cygwin distro.  You know what will
happen, don't you?  We have already people once in a while asking if
Cygwin can access, say, ext2 filesystems, but these tools add a new type
of confusion, along the lines of "I created a swap (bfs, minix)
partition but I can't mount it in Cygwin.  Cygwin is bOrked." Do we
really want that?

> agetty is up for grabs, and the more and cygutils maintainers have
> agreed.  Corinna, IIRC setsid is yours; I have included your Cygwin
> patches in this setsid.

I have never a problem if somebody takes over maintainership for one
of my packages ;-)

However, would you mind to test if setsid still *needs* the patches
I made?  They were necessarey way back when, but the changed console
handling in Cygwin might make them unnecessary.

Corinna

Red Hat