ITP: checkx-0.1.0-1

Sat May 6 00:54:00 GMT 2006

checkX is a little utility I wrote that tests to see if (a) the X11
client DLLs are installed on the machine, and (b) the Xserver on
$DISPLAY (or -d x.x.x.x:x) is running and usable.

It does not link against the Xll libraries itself, but attempts to
dlopen it, using a fuzzy name/path search.  Both the search path and the
target name are explicitly over-ridable via commandline arguments.

In its default mode, checkX returns a 0 status if X is present, 1
otherwise, and generates no output.  It is intended for use in scripts,
which need to intelligently decide whether to launch an X-based
application or a non-X (native MS Gui?  console?) one.

The source code isn't pretty, but it works pretty well; I've been trying
to break it for a while now.  First "published" here:
    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00148.html
but I decided to make it into its own package rather than tack it on to
rxvt-unicode-X or cygutils.  It's even autotooled...not that it can
actually be BUILT on any platform except cygwin. <g>

checkx does not yet have a home for ongoing development, save my hard
drive, so there's no "upstream" site, and obviously there are no Linux
distributions which include it.  Therefore, I need some votes in favor...

checkX determines if X is installed and Xserver is running
   returns 0 if yes, nonzero otherwise

   -h|--help            : prints this help message
   -d|--display STR     : use STR instead of $DISPLAY
   -l|--location        : print location of Xlib DLL on stdout
   -a|--appendpath STR  : append STR to value of $PATH (cumulative)
   -p|--prependpath STR : prepend STR to value of $PATH (cumulative)
   -r|--replacepath STR : use STR instead of $PATH when searching
   -x|--xlibname STR    : use exactly STR instd of fuzzy cygX11-*.dll
   -t|--timeout FLT     : allow FLT seconds to connect with Xserver
                          defaults to 0.5, use 0.0 for Xlib's (safe, 12s)
                          timeout
      --notty           : disable stderr messages
      --debug           : turn on debugging messages
      --no-silent       : allow error, warning, and info messages
Note that -a defaults to '/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin'.  To eliminate the
default, use '-a ""'

setup.hint:
----------- 8< ------------
category: Utils
requires: cygwin
sdesc: "checks to see if Xserver is usable"
ldesc: "A quick-n-dirty utility to check if X is installed on the
machine and if the Xserver is running.  checkX is silent
by default (unless configured with --disable-silent), and
all it does is return a status (0 or 1).  There are no popups
or stderr messages.

checkX attempts to dynamically load the X11 DLL in order
to contact the Xserver; therefore this package does not
explicitly depend on the X DLLs."
----------- 8< ------------

http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/checkx.hint
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/checkx-0.1.0-1-src.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/checkx-0.1.0-1.tar.bz2

--
Chuck

P.S. For some reason I can only intermittently ssh to my
cygutils.fruitbat.org site -- and the last time I tried to do so, it
apparently took down the httpd server, too.  I'm pretty sure that's not
an "scp + cygwin" problem. <g>

So, this ITP is hosted at an alternate location.