RXVT doesn't recognize ALT + Cursor keys

Sun Aug 19 17:09:00 GMT 2007

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> [...]

I misinterpreted -- after seeing this message, I thought you had solved
the problem entirely.  I haven't read the mailing list messages today
yet, so I missed the stuff below...

>> As vi user I'm not a real emacs person.  I'm using the cursor keys a lot
>> in tcsh, especially to scroll through the history, so it's quite helpful
>> to do all moving using the cursor keys in tcsh, imho.
>>
>> In the meantime I found that Cygwin's rxvt when running under X *does*
>> recognize ALT + Cursor keys, and the escape codes are identical to rxvt
>> under Linux.
>>
>> So, the question is this: Why does rxvt not recognize ALT + Cursor keys
>> in Cygwin in native Windows mode?
>
> I was going to look for this problem myself, but I'm not able to build
> rxvt from source:
>
>   $ cygport rxvt-20050409-4 compile
>   [...]
>    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIBXPM -O2 -pipe -DDEBUG_STRICT -I/home/corinna/src/rxvt/rxvt-20050409-4/build/W11/X11 -I/home/corinna/src/rxvt/rxvt-20050409-4/build/W11 -I.. -I/home/corinna/src/rxvt/rxvt-20050409-4/src/rxvt/src -I. -c command.c -o command.o
>   In file included from command.c:49:
>   rxvt.h:58:19: xpm.h: No such file or directory
>   [...]
>
> The file /usr/include/X11/xpm.h is present on my system, there's no
> special xpm.h in the rxvt sources.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Is it some sort of build dependency I'm missing?

Yes -- you need a patched cygport.  The official cygport is still
missing some of my patches from ten months ago.  I'll send an updated
version of cygport in a private message.

> OTOH, if you have an idea how to solve the ALT + Cursor key problem....

No, nothing obvious. I'd just turn on some of the debugging in the main
loop and see what happens to the keystrokes.

--
Chuck