Emacs is coming back - all pleased?

Mark Harig idirectscm@aim.com
Sun Jul 22 19:25:00 GMT 2007

Mark Harig wrote:
> Steffen Sledz wrote:
>>
>> Eric Blake schrieb:
>>
>>> Go ahead and send a release announcement, so hopefully you can get
>>> some more testers willing to try the version while it is still
>>> experimental.
>>>

>> Is there a template for such announcements?
>>

> Because 'etags' has been removed from the standard Emacs distribution,
> it would be
> good for the announcement and the cygwin.readme for Emacs to notify
> users that
> they will need to install the (exhuberant) ctags package if they want
> to generate
> tag files for Emacs Lisp.  This is a standard, documented feature of
> Emacs so
> users should be made aware of why it will not work if they only
> install the base
> Cygwin installation plus Emacs.
Correction about the Cygwin README for Emacs: I see that
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs-22.1.README already mentions the exuberant
ctags dependency:

    "Some binaries normally part of the emacs distribution are separated
      to avoid conflicts with other packages. If you need b2m or rcs-ckeckin
      install xemacs-emacs-common package. If you need ctags or etags
install
      ctags package."

Of course, the 'b2m' and 'rcs-checkin' binaries are already installed by
default because the 'xemacs-emacs-common' package is a requirement
of the Cygwin Emacs package.