[ITP] mksh-R31b-1 -- Enhanced version of the Korn shell

Jari Aalto jari.aalto@cante.net
Fri Sep 14 05:49:00 GMT 2007

* Thu 2007-09-13 Igor Peshansky <pechtcha-+I05ep9qJbk3uPMLIKxrzw AT public.gmane.org>
>> According to:
>>
>>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-05/msg00024.html
>>
>> The bug reports:
>>
>>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-08/msg00112.html [1]
>>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-06/msg00202.html [2]
>>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-08/msg01382.html [3]
>>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-02/msg00448.html [4]
>>
>> They are not very clear, but I tried my best to reproduce.
>>
>> [1] Multiple "sourcing" of initializations files.
>
> In any case, the bug report was too vague,
> and I haven't had the time to investigate.

I'm attaching the test case "source.sh", but I'm not sure if user meant
this. The report is too hazy.

>> [2] Memory allocation error
>>
>>     "/home/tbaker/u/bin/urlists[50]: internal error: alloc: freeing
>>      memory outside of block (corrupted?)
>>
>>     By running the scripts in debug mode (set -x), I found that
>>     the problem seemed to occur when declared functions (i.e.,
>>     declared within the script) were invoked multiple times.
>>     The functions would work at first, then stop working --
>>     as if the functions somehow ate up the available memory."
>>
>> I invoked function 1000 times in a loop, no malloc errors.
>
> I have a testcase for this one (attached).  This has nothing to do with
> functions.  I think it's a matter of not handling long filenames properly
> (an off-by-one error?).

Your test case worked fine under mksh.

>> [3] Prompt which gets repeated if it's multiline
>>
>>     "keying <ESC>/ results in ....
>>
>>     WS-XP-4960: /home/rthompso>
>>     WS-XP-4960: /home/rthompso>
>>     WS-XP-4960: /home/rthompso>
>>     $ /"
>>
>> Not applicaple. ESC-/ key combination doe snot exist in mksh.
>> Multiline prompts work without promlems.
>
> Sure it exists.  You have to "set -o vi" first.  But this one I can't
> reproduce in the current pdksh, either.
>
> Also, this one was #4 -- you missed #3, which was about tab completion and
> quoting spaces and special characters (which is reproducible).

Forgot to mention it, yes. The test case passed, the directory name was
completed correctly

    mkdir 'Whiteboards & Photos'
    cd W[TAB]
    cd Whiteboards\ \&\ Photos/

> Since we're testing known issues, here's another one I missed:
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-01/msg00073.html>.  Again, reproducible
> in current pdksh.

Same problem in mksh. I've contacted the developer about this.

> Anyway, I don't mind a test release of this -- if people find no problems
> with their ksh scripts, we can switch over to mksh (and switch the
> maintainership over to you).
> 	Igor

We could use both, but have /usr/bin/ksh to point to one that has proven
the most ksh compatible and bug free.

Jari