[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Thu Apr 3 23:13:00 GMT 2008

Igor Peshansky wrote:

> So would it make sense to put the root mount info in the same directory as
> cygwin1.dll?  I know it doesn't belong in /bin, but playing with relative
> paths is even more error-prone.

MSYS has been doing the "find msys dll, then locate ../../etc/fstab"
thing for years. Of all the (many) problems MSYS has, AFAIK this
"error-prone" issue has NEVER been one of them.

> /bin should contain programs that should work even if the PATH and mounts
> are screwed up.  So, "kill", "shutdown", etc.

But if THAT is the requirement (work if mounts are messed up and -- for
instance -- /usr/bin/ can't be found), then they all need to be
statically linked (with the exception of /bin/cygwin1.dll, of course) --
or some carefully selected set of DLLs need to be installed in /bin.

--
Chuck