[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Tue Apr 8 18:34:00 GMT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 13:26:46 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 06:26:46PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>I'm just not sure we should really call it "cygwin-1.7".  What would
>>be a good name, which does not refer to the actual version number?
>>
>>  "Cygwin" with uppercase C?
>
>I don't think making it differ by case is a good idea.  This is bound
>to cause problems for Windows somehow.

I agree.

>cygwin-xp?  cygwin-2008?
>
>cygwin-nextgen?

I'd lean towards cygwin-2008. As we have learned with the various
Microsoft products, the "year" in a product or distribution name is only
tangentially related to the product's lifespan, birthdate, or
end-of-life. Plus using cygwin-2008 doesn't restrict us from continuing
to use it with cygwin-1.9, cygwin-1.11, etc in the future -- unless we
have a paradigm-breaking new release (again), like cygwin-1.7 is.

I doubt such a thing would occur twice in one year.

If we do choose to name the release directory "cygwin-2008", we probably
ought to try to get cygwin-1.7 out the door before, say, Christmas, tho.
<g>

--
Chuck