[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Tue Apr 22 15:51:00 GMT 2008

Brian Dessent wrote:
> the DLL already supports
> parallel installs by the fact that it uses /etc/fstab.

Only in very limited cases:

(1) we're talking about cygwin-1.7.x
(2) Either
    (a) only one of those parallel instances is in use at a time,
    including installed services,
    or
    (b) all of those parallel instances have exactly the same version of
    the DLL
(3) Even so, doing this is not officially supported (the current
dual-installation "support" vis-a-vis cygwin-1.5.x and cygwin-1.7.x is
    (a) temporary and
    (b) intended for package maintainers only, in order to prepare the
    cygwin-1.7 packages -- and package maintainers generally know what
    they are doing and what the pitfalls of a dual/multiple installation
    are.

Right?  You still have to worry about the shared memory region name, and
its format which may vary with DLL version. Plus there still might be
other stuff that prevents parallel cygwin installs from running
simultaneously.  And I don't think supporting simultaneous use of
multiple cygwin installations is one of our goals, is it?

--
Chuck