[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Pēteris Kļaviņš klavins@netspace.net.au
Wed Apr 23 20:09:00 GMT 2008

Brian Dessent wrote:
>> So why can't the registry entry be <path-to-dll> instead of the fixed
>> 'setup\rootdir' in order that the setup application could populate a
>> drop-down list of all currently installed Cygwins?
>
> It could.

Excellent.  I second your suggestion.  :-)

> But I think Chuck made a good point that the ability to have
> multiple installed copies extends to what you might call "expert users",
> i.e. they must know the ins and outs of not actually ever using these
> two installs at once.  And so we need to be careful not to give the
> impression that this is supposed to work in the general case.

Sigh.  Yes I read Chuck's clear denouncement that there is any whisper
of there being a goal to support multiple Cygwin DLL's running
simultaneously.  However, that doesn't stop me from lobbying for setting
up such a goal, and having a <path-to-dll> registry entry for the Cygwin
DLL would be a step towards it, even if in the short term there was only
one such path allowed in the registry, i.e., subsequent Cygwin setups
would remove the previous path and replace it with the current user's
choice, if it was different.