cyginstall - /etc/setup/$pkg.lst.gz content

Nathan Thern nthern@gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 14:58:00 GMT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
> Nathan Thern wrote on 15 August 2008 19:51:
>
>>  The newest setup.exe is giving me fits,
>
>  :-/  There's not a lot we can do with bug reports like that.  If you give
> more details, we will try and address it.
>
>    cheers,
>      DaveK

Yeah, sorry... not trying to dis on anyone. I'm just not able to track
down the source of my problem right now.

I use a lot of packages off of cygwin-ports, including most of the
stuff that has higher version numbers than the official packages do.
"less" is a good example. When I update off the official repo, many of
my packages from ports disappear (as in uninstalled - the files are
gone & they don't show up in cygcheck). It doesn't happen to all the
ports packages I have that also exist in the official repo, so I think
it has something to do with dependency processing. That's all I have
right now.

At this time what I'm doing to make things work for me is copying the
package files I need into my own local repo directory and running
genini there. I think the existing setup.exe is fine for folks who
only use the official repo, but what I need is a tool that gives me a
lot more control over which packages I install, and from where. Hence
my inquiry to Reini. I think if a few of us collaborate to create a
power tool that complements setup.exe and follows its lead but offers
significantly more fine-tuned controllability and scriptability at the
expense of user-friendliness, the cygwin community as a whole will
benefit. For one example, see

regards,
NT