[RFC] 1.7 Packaging: Obsolete packages

Fri Aug 22 10:11:00 GMT 2008

On Aug 22 11:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 22 01:52, Brian Dessent wrote:
> > As far as the actual freeing of memory, I think it would go something
> > like
> >
> > for (vector <packagemeta *>::iterator i = packages.begin ();
> >      i != packages.end (); ++i)
> >   {
> >     delete *i;
> >   }
> > packages.clear();
> >
> > (And likewise for sourcePackages.)
>
> If that works, it should be fairly simple.  Since the installed.db is
> the first time read when pressing the "Next" button in the root dir
> dialog, it might be best to place the cleanup above in the same
> place, right before initializing the packagedb.

Too simple, apparently.  I created a new static method packagedb::clear()
which I call in RootPage::OnNext():

  void
  packagedb::clear ()
  {
    for (vector <packagemeta *>::iterator i = packages.begin ();
	 i != packages.end (); ++i)
      delete *i;
    packages.clear ();
    for (vector <packagemeta *>::iterator i = sourcePackages.begin ();
	 i != sourcePackages.end (); ++i)
      {

/* If you don't clear the categories, deleting the source packages
   SEGVs.  Are the categories lists shared with the binary packagemeta? */

	(*i)->categories.clear ();
	delete *i;
      }
    sourcePackages.clear ();
    installeddbread = 0;
  }

For testing I started setup and just clicked "Next" up to the package
selection dialog.  This picked up all information from a former 1.5
install and there's a list of packages to update.

Then I clicked "Back" up to the root dir dialog, changed the root dir to
a non-existing "Cygwin-1.7" and clicked "Next" again up to the package
selection.  The result was that Setup now thinks it has nothing to
install/update.  Nothing at all.

Something's obviously missing...

Red Hat