Conflict betwen the opengl package and the w32api package over libglut32.lib

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Fri Dec 5 07:47:00 GMT 2008

2008/12/3 André Bleau:
> For a very long time, the w32api package has provided /usr/lib/w32api/libglut32.a .
> I don't know why the w32api package provides libglut32.a ; it is the only
> glut-related file that it provides. The rest of glut, that is, the glut.h header and
> the glut32.dll, are provided by the opengl package.
>
> This was fine until glut32.dll was updated from 3.7.3 to 3.7.6, which happened at
> the release of opengl-1.1.0-6. From then, libglut32.a has been missing
> some hidden functions in the new glut32.dll: ___glutCreateMenuWithExit,
> ___glutCreateWindowWithExit, and ___glutInitWithExit. I hacked around it in
> glut.h, but this caused programs to continue to run in the background if their
> window was closed by using the close (X) icon in the title bar.
>
> For opengl-1.1.0-9, I reversed that hack to correct the problem, but now if
> you include glut.h, you can not link with libglut32.a, as it misses the 3
> required functions. The opengl-1.1.0-9 package now includes glut32.lib, and linking
> with it works well. But:
>
> 1- It is ugly. A POSIX environement should not require to link with some .lib file.
> 2- It forces developers of glut programs to modify their build system.
> 3- It creates confusion, as there is now 2 files competing for the same goal:
> libglut32.a and glut32.lib, the first of which don't work anymore.
>
> So, I am asking the maintainers of the w32api package to remove libglut32.a.
> Then I would update the opengl package to include a version that is compatible
> with the rest of glut.

I had to link directly against /bin/cygglut-3.dll for the parrot
package to work around this problem, as -lglut32 did not work.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/              http://murbreak.at/