which for cygwin 1.7

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Fri Dec 12 23:00:00 GMT 2008

I've been looking at rebuilding which for cygwin 1.7. I think there are
a lot of problems with the current code. It uses static buffers of
PATH_MAX all over the place, some of which are passed to getcwd().

My C programming skills are a bit rusty, but I can take a stab at fixing
it. I'd appreciate it if someone else could take a quick look and let me
know whether it's worth the effort or not.

I'm pretty sure that using a PATH_MAX sized buffer for getcwd() is a
problem. These buffers are also used to hold output from getenv(). I'm
not sure if that will be a problem or not.

I guess the alternative is to use a different which package. The one
from Debian uses a shell script and does not have all the features of
the current which.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, including if or how to patch the
current which and alternative which packages to investigate.

Hlade's Law:
         If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person --
         they will find an easier way to do it.