[ITA] inetutils-1.5-1

Mon Feb 25 03:44:00 GMT 2008

As suggested by Corinna here:
   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-02/msg00097.html
> I won't update inetutils anymore, except for tiny fixes and packaging
> stuff.  Actually I'd rather OBSOLETE it entirely.  syslogd is replaced
> by syslog-ng and all other tools in inetutils are security holes all in
> itself.  Barring that, I could create a new inetutils package which
> doesn't install logger.  Logger has not even a single Cygwin specific
> patch in it.
>
> So, here's the choice:
>
> 1. Remove logger from inetutils.
> 2. Remove inetutils from the distro.
> 3. Another maintainer creates a new inetutils package using the latest
>    upstream sources.

I'm tossing my hat in for #3.  It's basically a new port, using the
previous patches (1.3.2-37 vs. upstream 1.3.2) as a guide, because none
of the patches seemed to apply cleanly, and there were other issues as well.

Actually, I /agree/ with Corinna that none of these tools (with the
possible exception of inetd itself, and syslogd [1]) should be used in a
security-conscious installation.  However, we live in the real world,
and telnet/rsh are not going away...and if cygwin lacks these tools, it
will be viewed as a bug, not a feature.

[1] which can be replaced by xinetd (although that is unmaintained) and
syslog-ng

http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/inetutils-1.5-1.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/inetutils-1.5-1-src.tar.bz2

However, I'm running in to a little snag with regards to setup.ini!
Somehow, I'm tickling a bug in setup.exe (no, I don't think it's the
corrupted .lst.gz problem) and setup crashes when it tries to parse an
ini file that contains the inetutils info from my setup.hint.  So, until
I figure out why THAT is happening, I'm not ready to actually upload
these packages.  I'll post another message about this issue.

But that shouldn't stop you from d/l them, checking out the packaging,
maybe testing individual .exe's, etc.  When I /do/ upload these, they
will be in test: for a good long while...

Changes with regards to 1.3.2-37:

(1) inetd now accepts multiple configuration files (or directories)
which will be searched.  To accomodate this when running as a service
"under its own power", I'm using a registry key "ConfigPaths" instead of
"ConfigPath" -- the new key is a REG_MULTI_SZ instead of a REG_SZ, so
there are new routines to (safely, I hope) convert between this format
and the new inetd's char** config_files.  By default, inetd uses
   /etc/inetd.conf
   /etc/inetd.d/

(2) The inetutils package no longer installs the server programs
as `in.rlogind' and similar.  Instead they are are installed as
`rlogind'.  If you have an existing /etc/inetd.conf file (or
./etc/xinetd.conf) you should manually update these references.

(3) Added a new option to inetd: -T/--traditional-daemon, which does the
regular fork/daemonize behavior.  This is used with the (also provided)
sysvinit-style startup script, so that inetd can be run under the
control of the sysvinit package's init daemon.  So now, there are THREE
ways to run inetd as a service:
   a) install as a service using cygrunsrv (with the -D option)
   b) installed as a service under its own power
   c) as a slave to the init service, using /etc/rc.d/init.d/inetd (which
      uses the -T option when invoking inetd)

(4) There's also a little test program for the built-in services,
provided as source code in /usr/share/doc/inetutils-*/.  You can easily
test TCP services using:
    telnet <host> <port>
but there's no easy way to test UDP services. udp_client can be used to
do this:
    udp_client <host> <port or service name> "some data to send"

For instance, the UDP echo service can be tested using:
    $ udp_client localhost echo "hello"
    Received from localhost: 'hello'.
    $

Anyway, here's the setup.hint (which is causing such problems):

sdesc: "Common networking clients and servers"
ldesc: "inetutils provides common networking clients and
servers, including the inetd super-server, telnetd and
telnet, ftpd and ftp, rshd and rsh, rlogind and rlogin,
talkd and talk, tftpd and tftp, rexecd (but no rexec),
uucpd (but no uucp client), rcp, and syslogd.

Most of these utilities are security nightmares, dating
from a time when the internet was a more innocent place.
It is NOT recommended that you enable or use ANY of these
utilities -- except inetd and syslogd -- unless you have
a VERY good reason.  Please consider using ssh and sshd
from the 'openssh' package instead of telnet and the r*
tools"
category: Net
requires: cygwin terminfo
curr: 1.3.2-37