Ping? + RFC [was RE: Setup.exe vs corrupt lst.gz files.]

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Tue Feb 26 14:55:00 GMT 2008

On 26 February 2008 13:59, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>>   And here is part 1.
>>
>>   No comments then?  I'll apply it sometime tonight or tomorrow if nobody
>> objects.
>
> Well, you labeled it as "part 1" and so I mentally said, "okay, I'll
> take a look at this whenever it's complete."

  Ah, no, I intended to break out and submit the separate parts of the patch
incrementally, sorry for any confusion.

>>   Meanwhile (here's the RFC part), my suggestion for part 2 is attached
>> (merged into part 1).  It's pretty crude: it disables and reenables the
>> cancel button around each call to Installer::installOne().  This probably
>> doesn't stop the user from pressing the cancel key or clicking the "X"
>> close box, although I haven't tested that yet.  I would be interested in
>> hearing from anyone who reckons they do know the proper way to do this.
>
> Ick.  I don't really like that.

  Just the reason why I wanted to keep the uncontroversial bits separate from
the more obviously-correct bits!

> It seems to me that we simply don't
> support canceling in any sane way once the installation step has begun.
> Even if we are able to cancel cleanly at a point in between unpacking
> two packages, that still could leave the system in a horrid state --
> missing dependencies, postinstalls not run, etc.  We should disable the
> button for the entirety.

  Right, I'll rework part 2 on that approach.

  Meanwhile, part 1 OK for trunk?

    cheers,
      DaveK