cygwin-services-helper [was: Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.5-1]

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Feb 27 16:23:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Feb 27 00:34, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> Sounds good!  The function library would be cool.
> >
> > Here's my first draft.  Totally untested, almost nuthin' in the way of
> > documentation...but I figured I'd post it now, because I won't have time
> > for any more cygwin stuff until the weekend...
>
> Wow, thanks for the quick implementation.  Unfortunately I won't have
> time to look into this for now since I have to look into a Win2K problem
> with network paths.
>
> > TODO: (1) test, documentation, bughunt this function library
> >       (2) rewrite ssh-host-config to use it
> >       (3) rewrite iu-config to use it
> >       (4) rewrite syslog-config to use it
>
>         (4a) rewrite syslog-ng-config to use it
>
> But actually, services which don't have to switch user accounts don't
> really need it.

They won't need the "create a user that can switch user contexts"
functionality, but they might use the "install as service using cygrunsrv
with the following flags" one.

> > # REQUIREMENTS:
> > # SHELL must be bash
> > #
> > # PROVIDES:
> > # csh_error
> > # csh_error_multi
> > # csh_warning
> > # csh_inform
> > # csh_verbose
> > # csh_request
> > # csh_is_nt
> > # csh_is_nt2003
> > # csh_check_prog
> > # csh_check_prog_req
> > # csh_install_config
> > # csh_make_dir
> > # csh_privileged_user_name
> > # csh_privileged_user_exists
> > # csh_service_should_run_as
> > # csh_check_mounts
> > # csh_create_privileged_user
> > # csh_create_unprivileged_user
>
> Erm... why are all these functions called "csh_foo"?  "Cygwin SHell"?

I would guess "Cygwin Services Helper"...  Though it probably should be
"Cygwin Service Installation Helper", or "csih".

> It sounds so much as if these functions are csh functions.  Maybe
> "cf" or "cyg" would be a better prefix?

Umm, did you mean "cgf"? :-D
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.  That is the whole
Torah; the rest is commentary.  Go and study it." -- Rabbi Hillel