[ITP] parrot-0.6.3 with parrot-perl6

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Thu Jul 3 17:02:00 GMT 2008

I would like to contribute and maintain the parrot packages.

I've discussed the layout at #parrot and got their blessing,
esp. the favor of parrot-perl6 over parrot-rakudo, as it
is called on fedora.
Just the new php, now called pipp is still called plumhead. This will be
in the next release 0.6.4. Updates appear every month.

Maintaining pugs, the still defacto reference implementation of perl6,
requires ghc, which requires a complicated bootstrap, similar in
complexity to sbcl.

parrot, libparrot0 and libparrot-devel is in debian, freebsd ports,
fedora and gentoo.
parrot-perl6 in debian at least.
parrot-languages is my compressed version of the fedora split,
they have for every single language a seperate package.
Otherwise the package layout is similar to fedora, debian, gentoo and
freebsd.
It's still a mess and a make install is not fully supported yet,
but we have to start somewhere to get it finished.
I just left the docs/examples, the others stripped it.
pdb is called parrot_pdb, disassemble is called pbc_disassemble.

README and setup.hints attached.

Download:
wget -x -nH --cut-dirs=1 \

http://rurban.xarch.at/cygr/parrot/libparrot-devel/libparrot-devel-0.6.3-1.t