irssi on cygwin on vista 64bit crashes with 0x00000135 in cygperl5_8.dll

Mon Jul 14 14:09:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:18:29PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>Hi Reini,
>
>On Jul 14 12:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jul 14 02:33, TB2 wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > It's a fresh vista ultimate 64bit install and I installed cygwin with
>> > standard options + irssi, screen and rxvt. Everything working; rxvt and even
>> > screen, but irssi crashes instantly upon execution, no matter if I use cmd
>> > or rxvt as the shell, or if I start it remotely over ssh.
>> >
>> > The error code is 0x00000135
>> > File: cygperl5_8.dll
>>
>> I assume it's 0xC0000135 and it means DLL not found.  It looks like you
>> need Perl 5.8 for irssi to run.  Try to downgrade perl to 5.8.8-4 using
>> setup.exe for now.
>
>this sounds like a serious problem with the new perl release to me.
>It breaks backward compatibility be just removing a DLL other packages
>might rely upon.  If perl 5.10 is meant to be backward compatible with
>5.8, shouldn't it offer a cygperl5_8.dll as well, for instance, a
>hardlink?  However, wouldn't it be better in the long run to have a
>cygperl5.dll?

FWIW, this has probably been the #1 problem on #cygwin irc channel at
freenode.net.  I've been suggesting that people should send email to the
correct forum.  It's nice (I guess) to see that someone finally did.

cgf