Package Grep source and Program not installed functionality

John Morrison john@morrison.mine.nu
Tue Jul 29 12:12:00 GMT 2008

Hi All,

Would it be possible to extend the cgi

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi

to (optionally) output plain text instead of the formatted HTML?

Add a output=text instruction?  If the source is available I'd be willing
to see if I could do the mod.  I was thinking of some kind of command line
which would simplify the users finding out what package they would need to
install to access a particular tool, for example on my ubuntu machine;

john@hela:~$ gedit
The program 'gedit' is currently not installed.  You can install it by
typing:
sudo apt-get install gedit
bash: gedit: command not found

Perhaps the cygwin version could be

john@cygwin:~$ curl
The program 'curl' is currently not installed.  You can install it from
the following package(s);
	curl/curl-7.15.1-1	command line tool for transferring files with HTTP,
HTTPS, FTP, etc.
	curl/curl-7.15.4-1	command line tool for transferring files with HTTP,
HTTPS, FTP, etc.
	curl/curl-7.16.3-1	command line tool for transferring files with HTTP,
HTTPS, FTP, etc.

where the tool could use the package-grep.cgi?output=text&grep=/curl.exe

I don't know how the instruction get's fired, is there something in bash
which says "run this if you don't find a program"?

What do you folks think?  Doable?  Useful?

John.