ImageMagick renamed runtime lib names

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Fri Mar 21 14:32:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 20 19:30, Volker Quetschke wrote:
>> Since upstream version 6.3.8-5 of ImageMagick the following changes
>> were made:
>>
>> Renames:
>>  /usr/local/include => /usr/local/include/ImageMagick
>>  libMagick => libMagickCore
>>  libWand => libMagickWand
>>  Magick-config (deprecated) => MagickCore-config
>>  Wand-config (deprecated) => MagickWand-config
>>
>> And as the api changed the library version was changed from
>> 10 to 1.
>>
>> Well, we used to pack the runtime libraries libMagick, libWand and
>> libMagick++ in a libMagick10 package.
>>
>> As there was never a libMagick1 package in cygwin, this would
>> be no problem, except that I don't like that a newer library
>> now has a smaler number.
>>
>> As the package collects all runtime library files, i.e. libMagickWand,
>> libMagickCore and libMagick++ I would tend to call that package
>>
>> libMagickWCP1
>>
>> ?
>>
>> But I am open for suggestions. Does anyone have a better name? Or
>> shall I just call it libMagick1 ?
>
> What matters are the dependencies.
Well, I just checked setup.ini, there aren't any dependencies listed
on libMagick10 or the older libMagick6 except from the ImageMagick
package itself, so we are save here.

> I'm somewhat surprised about the
> change from 10 to 1.  Why is that?  And, isn't there a chance that a
> later version will again use the version number 10?  What about using
> libMagick_1?  The underscore has a higher asciis value than digits,
> so the package would be newer from a sort order perspective.

Yes, nicer than my suggestion, but I guess I will just use
libImageMagick1, because that is what's in that package, all
the runtime libraries.

And to comment on Volker's (the other ;) ) mail,

 > Probably the authors take care of library versioning. So i would not
 > fiddle with the package name. If there will be a version clash
 > sometime in the future you can take action then. What matters are the
 > dependencies.

We were always deviating from the official packaging, as we just put
all libraries in one package, whereas upstream puts LibWand and LibCore
into the ImageMagic-6.x.y (no library, but program version!) package,
and LibMagic++-6.x.y. The library versioning is conveniently ignored.

So, whatever we do is better than the original scheme.

> Oh and, don't use /usr/local/include/ImageMagick.  Use
> /usr/include/ImageMagick, please.
That was a copy from their ChangeLog, we use /usr/include.

   Volker

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D