[1.7] Setup.exe default ownership of files in fresh install [Admin:None?]

Fri Apr 17 13:56:00 GMT 2009

On Apr 17 14:22, Julio Costa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really had to give up and ask you all a bit of help understanding
> what is going on.
> Like the subject summarizes: After a fresh install of cygwin 1.7 (made
> with local user Administrator), all folder and files ownerships from
> cygwin root are: Administrator:None.
>
> Administrator@vmguest ~
> $ ls -la /
> total 9
> drwxr-xr-x  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:48 .
> drwxr-xr-x  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:48 ..
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 Administrator None   57 Apr 17 11:48 Cygwin.bat
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 Administrator None 7022 Apr 17 11:48 Cygwin.ico
> drwxr-xr-x  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:47 bin
> d--x--x--x  4 Administrator None    0 Dec  1  2006 cygdrive
> drwxr-xr-x  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:47 dev
> drwxr-xr-x  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:47 etc
> drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:48 home
> drwxr-xr-x  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:47 lib
> dr-xr-xr-x 10 Administrator None    0 Dec  1  2006 proc
> drwxrwxrwt  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 13:12 tmp
> drwxr-xr-x  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:47 usr
> drwxr-xr-x  1 Administrator None    0 Apr 17 11:47 var
>
> This makes very difficult to share the installation with other users -
> that will be the main objective in my case...
> This is being my number one suspect for a number of difficulties I've
> had trying to install a cygwin toolbox (I'll refrain from talking
> about that for now) on this host (it's a Vmware guest, actually)
> Is this an expected behaviour? Because right now it doesn't seems ok to me...

But it is.  Setup for 1.7 installs the files with POSIX permissions as
they are stored in the tar archives, rather than using the ugly Windows
default permissions.  This is exactly what you'd expect on a Linux or
UNIX box.  Except in some minor cases, the default permissions are
usually so that you get full access for the owner and read and, where
necessary, execute permissions.  Why is that a problem for sharing the
data with others?

Red Hat