Question: Desired owner/group when running setup-1.7.exe

Julio Costa costaju@gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:24:00 GMT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:54, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr 20 23:13, Julio Costa wrote:
>> BUT, may I make one last wish? I think that if this is important
>> enough to change in setup.exe, I think it is equally important to
>> maintain after installation, by implementing the same algorith in (at
>> least) mkpasswd to avoid incoherence.
>
> I understand what you're up to but you can't do that.  The fact that an
> account is member of the Administrators group shouldn't lead to an
> automatism which sets its primary group to Administrators.  That's
> probably nice and feasible in most cases for a local, non-domain
> account, but you can't just override the primary group choices in a
> active directory structure.  Especially in big companies or governments
> the group memberships and primary groups have been chosen for a reason.

Actually, I DO work for one of those - and their choice were... not
choose, hence the default 'Domain Users' assignment.
And my perception that the Windows primary group does not have an
useful purpose.
So I can't really agree with you, but as long as other administrators
can work in an installation made by a Domain User (member of local
admins)... I'll try to cut through the other bushes along the way.

>> PS: I know, we can always edit passwd by hand. But this is more a
>> question of why should we, when we already identified that there's a
>> need for change in the gid algorithm?
>
> For local admin users it sounds like an interesting idea, for AD
> accounts I'm not going to do that.

I think oranges, you think apples.
You own the trees, so I guess I'll just paint apples in orange, as
soon as I have them :)