New run version with patches for Windows 7

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 07:28:00 GMT 2009

2009/8/9 Charles Wilson:
>> Couldn't "run" just do nothing but invoke spawnvp() on the given
>> command? This way, it would rely on the invisible console code in
>> cygwin1.dll, and there'd be no need for duplicating any of that code.
>
> That's a feature, not a bug.

Not saying it's a bug, but an unnecessary maintenance hassle.

> run works equally well -- at least, it USED
> to -- when compiled as a mingw app and when compiled as a cygwin app.

Afaics, no mingw-compiled version is being shipped with Cygwin, nor
would there be any point in doing so. MingW/MSYS don't appear to use
it either, and if they did, shirley it would be up to them to maintain
it.

Therefore I'd throw out the code that duplicates the trickery in
spawn_guts, or at least macro-guard it.

> That same is not quite true of run2 (right now, run2 is strictly
> cygwin-only [*]) but I'd like to rely as little as possible on the
> underlying cygwin just to leave that possibility open.

Up to you of course, but what's the use case you have in mind there?

Andy