[RFC] GNOME 1.4 removal

Fri Aug 21 06:26:00 GMT 2009

The GNOME 1.4 libraries (namely libxml-1, ORBit-0.5, gdk-pixbuf-0.22,
gnome-libs-1.4) are now quite outdated and are being removed from both
the Debian and Gentoo distros.  (I see Fedora still ships these, though.
  Is there any way to compute reverse-deps from their package database?)
  The last thing that I had relying on these has been obsoleted, and I'm
not aware of anything else still relying on them, so I'm ready to drop
this cruft at last.

Note that glib-1.2 and gtk+-1.2 aren't going anywhere yet, as there are
still a few things out there relying on it, including singular-surf in
our distro.  (Hopefully this still won't be necessary by the time gtk+-3
comes out next year.)

So if there are no objections, I plan to remove the GNOME 1.4 libraries
from release-2/ in a few weeks.

Yaakov
Cygwin/X