1.7 installation failed (on network drive?)

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Dec 18 15:08:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> On Dec 18 11:57, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>> On Dec 17 17:31, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>>> I applied a patch which falls back to opening/creating the file/dir
>>> without WRITE_DAC if the first call failed.  That's not quite optimal
>>> but it works.  Please check out the latest from CVS and test in your
>>> scenario.  For me it works now on the share as well as on local drives.
>>>
>> The downside is that it will not create any POSIX-like permissions on
>> the share.  I'm just creating another solution which allows to give
>> normal POSIX permissions to the files, just like on a local drive.
>>
> I applied tha patch to CVS.  The NtCreateFile call now gets the POSIX-like
> ACL to create the file immediately with the correct permissions.  Please
> give it a try.

I can do that on Monday, hope it's sufficient.

>> Be aware that this share is really a problem.  The permissions given on
>> it are not common.  You can create a file with the desired permissions,
>> but you will never be able to change the permissions afterwards.  THis
>> is a flaw in the sharing permission handling if the user has only
>> "Change" permissions but not "Full Control".  Your admin should change
>> that and rather fix the permissions in the share's ACL.  Even Microsoft
>> recommends that.
>>
> This problem persists, of course.  Only your admin can change it.

I seem to remember that I have full access on this H: drive, according
to the properties menu, in contrast to another drive which had the same
problem, but I'll check again.

Thomas