GCC4 status.

Thu Feb 26 05:58:00 GMT 2009

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Danny Smith wrote:
>> Charles Wilson
>>> It's already on by default. The variable link_info.pei386_auto_import
>>> is currently initialized to -1, which means "Do it, but complain".
>>>
>>> The only thing changing that initialization to "1" would do, would be
>>> to stop complaining.
>> It also merges *all* .rdata variables into .data section. That's the
>> pessimization.

  I think we might have to live with it as a temporary measure, until we can
get the whole thing done with Kai's new relocs and even start to think about
disabling auto-import by default.

> But
>
> (a) implicitly enabled auto-import (-1) *doesn't* merge .rdata into .data?
> That seems...unwise.  I thought that the only way to keep .rdata separate
> and non-writable was to --disable-auto-import.

  Nope, hence the warning.  Implicitly-enabled auto-import behaves as if
auto-import was disabled until it finds something that needs auto-importing,
then switches mode - but it's too late to reassign the sections, because the
linker script has already been selected by then.

    cheers,
      DaveK