emacs package size

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Jun 13 11:53:00 GMT 2009

On 6/13/2009 6:42 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> The emacs package has grown from 6 MB to 20 MB between versions 21 and
> 23, so I was wondering, what is all that extra stuff? Perhaps it would
> be worthwhile splitting less than essential parts off into an
> emacs-extras package or some such? That size must be quite off-putting
> for people on slow or metered connections.

The growth actually occurred with version 22 and was discussed a couple
years ago (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2007-07/msg00047.html).  The
main problem is that the binary itself is huge, so I don't think there's
much I can do about it.  Another factor is that there used to be a
separate emacs-leim package, but that got integrated into the main emacs
package (starting with version 22).  I think this was an upstream
change, not a cygwin repackaging.

If you see something I could do, let me know and I'll try it.  Do you
know if there's any linux distribution that splits things off?

Ken