[RFU 1.7] {emacs,emacs-X11,emacs-el}-23.0.92-10

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Jun 19 20:20:00 GMT 2009

On 6/19/2009 1:33 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:50:01PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>> According to Ken Brown on 6/18/2009 2:09 PM:
>>> Thanks from me too, Eric.  I noticed that you also added cygwin to the
>>> requires: line of emacs-X11, even though emacs-X11 requires emacs which
>>> requires cygwin.  Is this just a precaution in case setup.exe messes up
>>> the dependencies, or is there some deeper reason?
>> All packages get cygwin added automatically by the upset script before
>> creating the final setup.ini for public consumption.  I did not add it at
>> the setup.hint level.  This script also adds the _postinstall dependency
>> for any package with .info files.
>
> And yet, no matter what I do, the cygwin's and _update-info-dir's still
> keep creeping back into the setup.hint files.

The instructions for maintainers at http://cygwin.com/setup.html could
probably use some updating.  The discussion of setup.hint says, "A
package will probably require the Cygwin package if it contain any DLLs
or executable files since the Cygwin package contains cygwin1.dll, which
is required for most programs."  And a few lines later there's an
example with cygwin in the requires: line.

Ken