Cygwin setup.exe - command line parameters

Tue Mar 3 14:54:00 GMT 2009

Lars Bjørndal wrote:

> Anyway, today I found a hacked version of setup.exe which allowed a
> command line parameter '-p <package list>', which was very useful. I found
> the hacked verison here:
>
>   http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~mr349/setup.exe
>
> and the patch for it is here:
>
>   http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~mr349/cygwin.patch

  That web page is by a colleague of Dr Frank Lee, the guy who pushed us into
getting the feature into mainstream setup.exe, which happened about six months
ago.  However, only the Cygwin-1.7 version of setup has been rebuilt with the
new code.

  Gang, we keep getting asked for this, and as long as we're going to keep a
legacy 1.5 distro hanging around for people to use, shouldn't we ought to
backport the patch to the branch?  I'm kinda busy right now with binutils and
gcc, and not likely to have much time for a week or two - has anyone else got
a bit of spare time and motivation to donate toward this?

  Lars, for your purposes, maybe you should give it a go with 1.7?

    cheers,
      DaveK