1.7 installation failed (on network drive?)

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Nov 24 17:22:00 GMT 2009

I tried this installation to a network drive on one machine again with
last week's new setup.exe, which didn't solve the problem as Corinna had
assumed, but with more detailed test results:
The machine runs Windows XP Professional, drvies H: and T: are normal
Windows mounts or NFTS network drives.
I started setup-1.7.exe from a command line after explicitly clearing
PATH completely.

1. attempt, root dir T:\cygwin17, package dir H:\cygwin17:
> ---------------------------
> Fehler
> ---------------------------
> Could not change dir to H:\cygwin17: Das System kann die angegebene
> Datei nicht finden.
>
>  [00000002]
> ---------------------------
> Abbrechen   Wiederholen   Ignorieren
> ---------------------------

which - by the way - suggests the recent fix about mkdir was not
complete - at least the package directory still had to be created manually.

2. attempt, after manual mkdir H:\cygwin17:
> ---------------------------
> Cygwin Setup
> ---------------------------
> Can't open
> H:\cygwin17/http%3a%2f%2flinux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de%2fdownload%2fcygwin%2f/release-2/alternatives/alternatives-1.3.30c-10.tar.bz2.tmp
> for writing: No such file or directory
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------

3. attempt, this time with a local package dir D:\cygwin17:
> ---------------------------
> In-use files detected
> ---------------------------
> Unable to extract /etc/ -- the file is in use.
>
> Please stop all Cygwin processes and select "Retry", or
>
> select "Continue" to go on anyway (you will need to reboot).
>

> ---------------------------
> Wiederholen   Abbrechen
> ---------------------------
This is something that Alexander Quinn also reported these days, but
since he mentioned C: paths, I don't think he tried network disks, right?

Side remarks:
1. If I hit Continue after the previous message, setup hangs at
Installing /etc/alternatives/README
2. If I accidently put a space in front of the root directory, setup
fails with a confusing message "The install directory must be absolute"
- maybe some simple space stripping could be added here

4. attempt, the other way round: package directory H:\cygwin17, root
directory D:\cygwin17:
> ---------------------------
> Cygwin Setup
> ---------------------------
> Can't open
> H:\cygwin17/http%3a%2f%2flinux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de%2fdownload%2fcygwin%2f/release-2/alternatives/alternatives-1.3.30c-10.tar.bz2.tmp
> for writing: No such file or directory
> OK

Only if I finally use local directories for both package and root dir,
it works.

And to complete the report, as I noted before, installation of 1.5 to
the same network locations (package and root) works.

Kind regards,
Thomas