1.7 installation failed (on network drive?)

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Thu Nov 26 15:46:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> On Nov 25 18:30, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> Thomas Wolff wrote:

>>> On the H: drive, I have "full access" according to the Windows
>>> properties dialog.
>>> On the T: drive, I don't, but I have read and write permissions of
>>> course. However, missing rights to modify ACLs might indeed by the issue
>>> here.
>>>
>>   100%.
>>

>>> In usual *nix terms, however, I have sufficient rights to do anything I
>>> need, so I think setup.exe might want to be more fault-tolerant here
>>> (and issue more precise error hints), esp. if setting ACLs fails.
>>>
>>   Need better error handling, it should fall back to whatever it does on FAT
>> systems.
>>

> The files and directories are created with default ACLs.  The POSIX-like
> permissions are set afterwards.  It does not matter to setup if setting
> the POSIX-like permissions fails.  However, if anything didn't work in
> there, you should see this in the setup log.

Here is some additional information, and log files attached.

If I try local package dir D:\cygwin17 and network root dir H:\cygwin17,
I get the error
"unable to extract /etc ..."
(H:\cygwin17 has not even been created, if I do that manually and
repeat, there is no change)
since there is no root dir and sub-dirs created, there is also no log
file (or could I have redirected it with setup-1.7.exe?)

If I try network package dir H:\cygwin17 and local root dir D:\cygwin17,
manual creation of H:\cygwin17 is necessary,
and I get that other error;
two log files for this case are attached.

Also here is the output of getfacl for directories on the two network
drives I had tried:

Hope this helps.
Thomas