gcc4: next release

JonY jon_y@users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 7 14:21:00 GMT 2010

On 7/7/2010 21:59, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul  7 21:19, JonY wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, it sounds like we've stepped into the middle of a dispute
>>> between the mingw folks and the mingw64 folks.  Maybe the best thing for
>>> us to do would be to decide to use only one or the other but not both.
>>>
>>> cgf
>>>

>> Here are some of the technical issues.
>> [...]
>> As for mingw-w64 headers API, it does not support anything lower
>> than XP, Win2K is not supported, different from mingw.org's Win9X
>> compatibility.
>
> How do you do that?  The XP functionality is a superset of the W2K
> functionality, which in turn is a superset of the NT4 functionality.
> So, in theory, headers supporting XP should support any earlier
> system(*).
>

> Corinna
>
> (*) Note that I ignore 95/98/Me deliberately since they deserve to be
>      forgotten.

Hi,

_WIN32_WINNT by default is set to 0x501, there are no ifdef guards for
anything lower. So if you wanted to limit yourself to win2k
functionality, there isn't a practical way to do it other than looking
up MSDN.

So while it may work on win2k, but if you do accidentally use XP
specific functionality like some of newer network API functions, your
program crashes on win2K.