default terminal

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Jun 2 20:39:00 GMT 2010

Am 02.06.2010 15:30, schrieb Dave Korn:
> On 01/06/2010 19:19, Andy Koppe wrote:
>
>> On 1 June 2010 00:14, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>

>>>   Perhaps,
>>> instead, setup could create two shortcuts instead of just one.  ...
>>>
>> Not a bad idea. "Cygwin Console" and "Cygwin Terminal" perhaps? Of
>> course people still wouldn't know the difference, but at least they
>> could try them and find out, and delete as appropriate.
>>
>    +1.

+1 again. Actually I was about to suggest the same two terms just before
Andy's posting.

>> Then again, we
>> might get lots of questions about why setup.exe felt the need to
>> create two shortcuts and what the difference between them is. Hmm.
>>
>    We already get plenty of questions about the difference between a console
> and a terminal.  Don't think it'll be any different really.  Let's call the
> shortcuts "Cygwin Console" and "Cygwin GUI Terminal", and then people will
> think it's obvious why there's two of them.

Apart from its configuration menu, mintty isn't really more of "GUI"
than the console; also I don't think that would answer those questions.
(There used to be a project to add graphics to an xterm clone - maybe
another challenge for Andy...?)

------
Thomas