HEADSUP maintainers: Change in openssl package requires change in setup.hint

Thu Jun 24 20:25:00 GMT 2010

On Jun 24 14:55, Yaakov S wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 21:41 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Openssl does not come with any certificate and there's no certificate
> > package in Cygwin either.  AFAICS it would be sufficient to move to
> > another ssl directory like, say, /usr/share/ssl instead of /usr/ssl.
> > The user can copy and rehash any certificates manually, or install
> > root certificates from scratch for 1.0.0.
>
> 1.0.0 would be a good opportunity to FHS-ize the openssl package.
> Move /usr/ssl to /usr/share/{open}ssl, but careful with /usr/ssl/man;
> moving that to /usr/share/man would clobber some man1pages.

Openssl's configuration only allows two location options, --prefix,
which is set to /usr, and --openssldir, which is set to /usr/ssl
by default.  So, if we change --openssldir to /usr/share/ssl, all
files will move there, including the man pages.

>   Also,
> could /usr/lib/engines be moved to /usr/lib/openssl/engines?  The
> current path is quite ambiguous as to its purpose.

I didn't look into the patches applied by Linux distros, but the
upstream, vanilla openssl package does not allow to move directories
other than with --prefix and --openssldir.  The engines path is, like
others, hardcoded into the Makefile, like this:

  install_sw:
    @$(PERL) $(TOP)/util/mkdir-p.pl $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(INSTALLTOP)/bin \
	    $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(INSTALLTOP)/lib \
	    $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(INSTALLTOP)/lib/engines \
	    $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(INSTALLTOP)/lib/pkgconfig \
	    $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(INSTALLTOP)/include/openssl \
	    $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(OPENSSLDIR)/misc \
	    $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(OPENSSLDIR)/certs \
	    $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(OPENSSLDIR)/private
    [...]

Being able to build from the vanilla sources is a pretty high priority
for me.

Red Hat