TZ=CEST not detected

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org
Mon Mar 1 10:47:00 GMT 2010

Corinna Vinschen, le Mon 01 Mar 2010 10:29:13 +0100, a écrit :
> On Feb 28 14:23, Reini Urban wrote:
> > Looks like CEST is not honored anymore, TZ=CET works okay.
> > Haven't investigated when it stopped working.
> >
> > $ TZ=CET date
> > Sun Feb 28 14:22:32 CET 2010
> > $ TZ=CEST date
> > Sun Feb 28 13:22:34 GMT 2010

Same on Linux.

> However, looking into /usr/share/zoneinfo I see a CET zone, but not a
> CEST zone.  I'm not sure "CEST" is valid at all.

I would tend to think it's not valid: it doesn't make sense to force
summer time for all kinds of dates.

>   TZ=CET-1CEST

Apparently this one is valid and has a sane meaning:

€ TZ=CET-1CEST date
lundi 1 mars 2010, 11:46:42 (UTC+0100)
€ TZ=CET-1CEST date  -d 20090701
mercredi 1 juillet 2009, 00:00:00 (UTC+0200)

i.e. it switches between CET and CEST as appropriate.

Samuel