SETUP: default to mintty

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Fri Aug 5 20:46:00 GMT 2011

On 8/5/2011 2:04 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:

> Which leaves the question how the icon with the 256x256 became so big.
> I'd used a Cygwin build of 'icotool' from 'icoutils' for that,

icotool's --help is confusing.  The magic incantation is:

	$ icotool -c -o cygwin-term.ico -r cygwin-term.png

where cygwin-term.png is the 256 px Vista icon.  -r is the trick.  You
then append the PNG files for the smaller sizes to the list to have them
translated to BMP style "standard" icons within the aggregate .ico.

> allows to embed PNGs directly, instead storing them in whatever less
> efficient bitmap format .ICOs have used before.

.ico is originally based on BMP, which is a trivial uncompressed file
format, basically a small header containing obvious things like width,
height, color depth, pixel format and such, followed by raw pixel data.

So, a 32 bit RGBA 256x256 .bmp or .ico will be 262,144 bytes plus header
overhead.  (I get 270,398 bytes here.)  Your 300K+ file probably got a
bit bigger due to having more icon sizes bundled in.

> How do you create icons including a 256x256 version?

I use the ICO file plugin for Photoshop from Telegraphics, the same
people that put out icobundl.  You get a dialog on saving the icon,
asking if you want a standard or Vista PNG .ico; I say Vista for the 256
px one, and standard for the smaller four sizes.  Then, I use icobundl
to take the resulting 5 .ico files and assemble them.

I can do final compression and assembly if you need me to, but I think
the icotool incantation will fix your problem.