256x256 px icons

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Mon Aug 15 14:33:00 GMT 2011

> Turns out, 256 is too big for the splash screen.  Looking for a nice
> size, I found that 1064, the size of the rasterized original icon,
> dived by 7 is 152, which looks like the ideal size for the dialog icon.
> So I added a 152x152 icon to cygwin.ico, and made it the first icon
> in the set.  Here's the result:
>
> http://cygwin.de/cygwin-standalone-beveled.ico
>
> Two examples:
>
> Classic Windows style:    http://cygwin.de/splash-new-1.png
> Windows 7 non-Aero style: http://cygwin.de/splash-new-2.png

Mostly delicious, Corinna.

The hard edges in the original art are causing stair-stepping when doing
a direct downsample, though.  (Look at the pointy bits.)  By blurring
the high-res version and then downsampling by a non-integral amount, you
can get a much smoother result.  Here's one at 128 px^2:

	http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/128-smooth.png

If you're really set on 152 px^2, here's that, too:

	http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/152-smooth.png

If you want yet a different size, the procedure is:

	- merge all layers (don't flatten; keep transparency)
	- Gaussian blur, 2 px
	- bilinear resize