[ITA] - base-files

David Sastre d.sastre.medina@gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 12:02:00 GMT 2011

2011/1/11, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 10 19:40, David Sastre wrote:
>> Also, I'd appreciate opinions regarding the guard-like tests in some
>> config files, namely /etc/profile, /etc/bash.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile
>> and ~/.bashrc. I'm not very convinced about including them.
>
> Why do we need them?  I don't see equivalent tests on Linux...

There aren't, indeed.

And re-thinking the idea, those tests are not needed in any of the
files but maybe in /etc/bash.bashrc, which is definitely affected by
changes in this version of base-files that modify the order in which
startup files are read.
Its purpose would be avoiding double sourcing of a file, given the
following scenario:
- a user updates base-files.
- base-files' preremove script keeps modified files untouched (which
is the correct behaviour).
- a user's modified ~./bash_profile still sources /etc/bash.bashrc,
when that has already been done by new /etc/profile.

One goal here is to define a SYS-level of configuration that does not
rely in the existence or content of any USER-level conffile (e.g.
./bash_profile). Related to this, bash-4.1 will have SYS_BASHRC
(/etc/bash.bashrc) enabled.